Shermie wasn’t the only reveal SNK had going into this weekend! Although the following announcement might be less relevant to the FGC on the surface, the newly announced SNK 40th Anniversary Collection is worth paying attention to, for a few reasons.
This celebration of SNK’s four decades in the business includes the origin games of quite a few King of Fighters fan-favorites. Kensou’s debut in Psycho Soldier, Athena’s self-titled game, and Clark and Ralf’s Ikari Warriors are all included in this classic collection. If you love these characters and want to play the games they came from on the Switch, your wish will be fulfilled (tentatively) this fall!
While there are no fighting games currently listed on the collection, SNK has said that more titles will be revealed in the future. Currently revealed for the collection:
- Alpha Mission (both arcade and home versions)
- Athena (both arcade and home versions)
- Ikari Warriors (both arcade and home versions)
- Ikari III: The Rescue (both arcade and home versions)
- Guerilla War (both arcade and home versions)
- P.O.W. (both arcade and home versions)
- Prehistoric Isle in 1930
- Psycho Soldier
- Street Smart
- TNK III (both arcade and home versions)
- Victory Road (both arcade and home versions)
Since many NEO GEO titles are already on the Nintendo eShop, it’s not likely there will be many fighters in this collection. But there are a few relatively popular fighting game gems sorely missing from the Switch. For example? The Last Blade II.
Stay in touch with Shoryuken — we’ll sound the alarm if any fighting game goodies get announced for this tentative fall 2018 release.