Some of you may remember Japanese doujin fighter Yatagarasu from its worldwide release on Rice Digital courtesy of Zen United earlier this year. Developed by former SNK employees Kotani Tomoyuki and Shiza with balancing by longtime competitor Umezono and originally released on PC in 2011, Yatagarasu blends inspiration from a number of classic fighting titles to provide a fresh and entertaining experience.
Today, London-based publisher Nyu Media announced they will be supporting the development team in the release of an update to their original game. Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm will feature new characters (images of which are scattered throughout this article), new features, and full English localization. It will also be made available through the NESiCAxLive arcade network in Japan.
But in order to reach these goals in a timely manner, they’re going to need a little help. Earlier this morning, an Indiegogo fundraising campaign was launched in an effort to gain additional backing, with all the supporter goodies that come along with it. Their $68,000 goal will fund the development of at least two new characters (Kotaro and Azure, pictured above), the aforementioned localization effort, and more.
A breakdown of their costs and other self-funded endeavors has been included below.
- New Character: Kotaro ($20,000) – Includes pixel art, character portrait, voice over, story writing, game play balancing, etc. The actual cost of character creation is $25,000, but to improve the chances of adding her, we will self-fund the remaining $5,000 for Kotaro.
- New Character: Azure ($25,000)
- MC Voiceover by Koori Masao ($2,000) – TOUGEKI announcer Koori Masoi will join as the Yatagarsu Attack on Cataclysm’s official MC. He will announce the player’s names and affiliations at the start of a match, and MC and comment on match highlights after the match has finished. This will add a new level of excitement that is totally unique to Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm.
- English Localization ($4,000) – Nyu Media will fully localize the game menus, text, dialogue and graphics into English.
- English Language Dynamic Commentary! ($4,000) – One of Yatagarasu’s standout features is the edgy commentary system and provides dynamic commentary in real time based on developments in the match. English commentary by famous overseas tournament commentators and players (to be announced!) will be added!
- New Japanese Commentary ($2,000) – The commentary will be completely revised and powered up, including newly recorded commentary by renowned Japanese fighting game player Kokujin.
- Creation of a New Trailer ($2,000) – New trailers will be newly created in both English and Japanese.
- IndieGogo Perks Creation ($5,500)
- IndieGogo fees and other costs ($3,500)
In addition, the below improvements and additions will be made that will be self-funded by the development team.
- New, High Quality Graphics – New graphics by Yatagarasu dev team member Kotani:Tomoyuki.
- Game Play Improvements and Game Balancing Overhaul – Together with adding the new characters, we will review and completely rebalance game play, add powerful new moves, and make the game even more accessible and fun to play.
- Story Rewrites – Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm will have new story developments along with the new characters.
- Improved Online Support – We will add error resolution and high speed networking, and make online match support even more smooth. A new team play function will be added, so you can fight team versus team matches. A new “My Icon” function will be added that allows icons made by players to be used in the game.
- NESiCAxLive Version
- Collaboration with Taito Station – In collaboration with Taito Station, MC Koori will appear and MC at actual Taito Station arcades. What’s more, other arcade centers are being added to the participation list! (Japan only)
As with any fundraiser, this Indiegogo campaign will also feature a number of stretch goals should the team meet their initial figure, including additional characters decided by backer voting, further rebalancing, European localization, and more.
- $70,000: New Song – A new song track with vocals.
- $80,000: Refinement of the Existing 8 Characters – New moves, new voice acting, and rebalancing of the existing characters.
- $112,000: 3rd New Character – A 3rd new character. Which character we add will be decided by backer voting.
- $144,000: 4th New Character – A 4th new character. Which character we add will be decided by backer voting.
- $157,000: New Dynamic Commentator (Japanese) – New Japanese lanaguage commentating by a *to be announced* commentator.
- $173,000: Alternate Characters x 2 – ‘Ura’ (alternate) versions of Kou and Hanzo with different move sets will be added.
- $189,000: Alternate Characters x 2 – Ura versions of Jyuzumaru and Hina with different move sets will be added.
- $205,000: Alternate Characters x 2 – Ura versions of Shimo and Jet with different move sets will be added.
- $221,000: Alternate Characters x 2 – Ura versions of Chadha and Crow with different move sets will be added.
- $241,000: FIGS Localization – French, Italian, German, and Spanish language localizations.
- $261,000: Limited Edition Physical Comic – A limited edition, physical Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm comic, created by the publisher of the Street Fighter comic series, Udon Entertainment.
- $311,000: NESiCAxLive Special Version – If we reach this stretch goal, we’ll add a host of new features that take advantage of the NESiCAxLive system and release it as a special version.
- >$311,000: Development & Promotional Expenses – Presently the development team members work for zero pay, but any funding received in access of the stretch goals will be allocated to their development expenses and toward promoting the worldwide release of Yatagarasu Attack on Catacylsm. With the additional funding, you can expect even more quality and volume in Yatagarasu and it will reach even more gamers around the world.
Further information regarding the brand new characters and donation incentives can be found on Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm’s official Indiegogo page. The campaign is operating under the flexible funding designation, which means they will collect the money donated even if they don’t reach the $68,000 goal.
They’ve set the campaign to end on August 11 with a tentative release date of February 2014, so be sure to visit and see what you can do to help!