The first of our three part “SRK Showmatch” series for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 ended just a few moments ago. Earlier tonight– Eight of Norcal’s capital players converged on Southtown Arcade in San Francisco for a winner-take-all exhibition tournament holding a $1000 prize for whoever shadowed victory at the top of the bracket. You want to see what insanity Ultimate Marvel’s evolved into within just two weeks? You couldn’t do much better than this.
Before I throw you the bracket, the rules were as follows.
- Single elimination. No losers bracket. SBO, eat your heart out.
- Players must win 2/3 games to advance. 3/5 for Finals.
- No character restrictions.
- Winner gets to shower himself in the $1000 dollars he just picked up at the end of the night.
The stream started at 8pm, and you can check the bracket here: http://challonge.com/gphpnc001
If you want a rundown of who these players are, and what kind of insanity they inspire, you can head over here for an introduction.
Stream brought to you courtesy of Iplaywinner, on the SRKlive twitch.tv channel. Check it out below!
Winner is in bold.
K BEAST(Hawkeye, Dante, Strider and C. Viper, Dante and Magneto) Vs. Curtypie(Hagger, Hawkeye, Trish)
- SUMMARY: K Beast started out with a strong zoning game, keeping Curtypie away, and picking apart Hawkeye and Hagger little mistake by little mistake. However, the second game picked up– with Curty taking a commanding lead with Haggar and Hawkeye. However, K Beast started working on a strong comeback with XF LVL 3 Orbs and Strider– killing two of Curty’s characters. It was all down to the Mayor and the Glass Cannon. Strider hits Haggar, but can’t convert the combo and Haggar chips it out to a win for Curty. K beast counterpicks to C Viper, Dante, and Magneto– and dominates using his Dante to capitalize on a great deal of small mistakes Curty makes for a win. K Beast takes it 2-1.
Mine(Wesker, Taskmaster, Magneto) Vs. Chrisis(Firebrand, Viper, Strider)
- SUMMARY: The first game had strong, nearly even play from both players. Mine’s Wesker edged it out and killed Firebrand, but Chrisis took out Wesker shortly after with some strong play(and a neat unblock-able set-up with Strider assist. ) Viper kills Task pretty easily, and the last man standing is Magneto. However, at the last moment, Magneto gets a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and catches Strider and Viper with one super, killing them BOTH with a shockwave and letting Mine taking the round. The second game was Wesker-fest, with Mine’s Wesker commandingly slaughtering Chrisis’ team. Mine takes it 2-0.
Honzogonzo(Taskmaster, Hawkeye, and Doctor Doom) Vs. F. Champ(Dormammu, Magneto, Doctor Strange and Magneto, Sentinel,Phoenix)
- SUMMARY: An Excellent Set. Champ took a strong lead in the first game, playing smart and killing Task before Honzo could really show his stuff. However, Hawkeye made an insane comeback– and the keyword there is “gimlet”. Strong guesses and use of meter kills two of Champs characters(including an assist) and suddenly champ is down to Strange. Champ makes a strong guess and takes out Doom, leaving Honzo with no missiles, and it’s all down to Strange Vs. Hawk. But once again, a few strong guesses and Honzo edges it out for the first game. The second game shows Champ switching to our old girl Jean. Early in the round Champ gets his four meters with a smart exchange combo and Dark Phoenix is a near guarantee. With some smart runaway he gets to 5 meters quick. However, Honzo takes out Magneto and Sentinel pretty quickly(losing Task in the process)– and it’s Phoenix again. If anything, the match shows how the dominance of Phoenix has shifted. Champ had to play MUCH more calculated– fearing Hawkeyes strong Gimlets and Doom missiles. Unfortunately, lack of respect for those Doom missile hurt champ a lot. Phoenix narrowly edges out and kills Hawkeye, but Champ ignores those Doom missiles and gets hit– promptly giving Honzo time to convert a combo to kill Phoenix. In a stunning upset, Champ is eliminated 2-0 by Honzogonzo.
Hi Im Nastyy(Wesker, Frank West, and Super Skrull) Vs. Dacidbro(Captain America, Taskmaster, Virgil)
- SUMMARY: Nastyy dominated the first game, destroying Dacidbro’s first two characters, and stopping a comeback from Task almost as if it took no effort. Wesker doing most of the work in the first game. The second game saw Dacid playing much stronger– but not strong enough. Nastyy edged it out with Skrulls good old smash, and took it 2-0.
Mine( Wesker, Taskmaster, Magneto) vs K Beast(Hawkeye, Strider, Dante and Dante, Magneto, Viper)
- SUMMARY: Mine’s Wesker worked overtime and killed Hawkeye quick. KBeast got a happy birthday, and nearly killed two characters– but at least took out Magneto. Orbs with Strider helped K make up some of the difference- but not enough before Wesker came back and dominated. After a counterpick, K played a strong Dante and killed Wesk– but it wasn’t enough before Mine came back with Task and Magneto and took the game.
Honzogonzo(Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Dr. Doom) Vs. Hi Im Nastyy(Wesker, Deadpool, Super Skrull)
- SUMMARY: An intense set. The first game showed some strong back and forth play from both players. Nastyy’s Wesker had some really strong point play as he bullied down Hawkeye– giving him a ton of red health, while Honzo showed us the singular reason WHY Doom Missiles is THE assist to use. It all came down to Taskmaster Vs. Super Skrull, both players cautious and holding their ground. It Honzo who edged it though– beating Skrull just by a HAIR. The second round saw Honzo playing Task on point. Honzo took out Wesker quite efficiently, however Nastyy soon took a HAPPY BIRTHDAY with Skrull and killed off DOOM and TASK. But Honzo didn’t cave under the pressure– and played some smart Hawkeye, taking out Skrull in only a few moments. Honzo 2-0.
Mine(Taskmaster, Wesker, Magneto) Vs. Honzogonzo(Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Dr. Doom)
- SUMMARY: Goodbye Phoenix. Hello Wesker. First game saw some even ground for both players– with Mine’s Task showing off some strong fundamentals. However, it was near the end of the game when Honzo pulled out some RAW hidden missiles and used it to kill Mine’s last two characters and take the early lead. It all went downhill from there though. Three rounds in a row Mine’s Wesker danced around all of Honzo’s characters one after another. Game by game, Honzo’s defense became less and less effective against Mine’s rampaging Wesker– and a few bad assist calls just helped cement Mine’s dominance over Honzo. No amount of Honzo’s strong zoning could control “dark Wesker”. Mine takes it 3-1.
EXTRA GRUDGE MATCH
F Champ(Ghost Rider, Sentinel, Phoenix and Dormammu, Magneto, Sentinel) Vs. HI Im Nastyy(Deadpool, Skrull, Wesker)
- SUMMARY: After a little bit of spark from Ghost Rider and Phoenix in the first round– Nastyy RAN THROUGH Champs team with Wesker. Three happy birthdays at the beginning of all three following rounds and all you saw and champs side was red health. Sentinel didn’t even get his chance in the sun. Low meter gain kept Dark Phoenix out of the following three rounds and Nastyy took it 3-1.
F Champ(Magneto, Sentinel, and Dormammu) vs. X Ray(Dante, Magneto, Wesker)
- SUMMARY: F Champ takes the first game narrowly– working for the win. Second round has a strong showing again by champ– his Dormammu particularly showing some great zoning play. However, the next two rounds we see X Ray’s Dante run through Champs team with a strong amount of precision. However, it was X Ray who clutched it out in the end with good old Wesker– coming back to take out both Champs Dormammu and his Sentinel. X Ray takes it 3-2.
Dacidbro(Captain America, Taskmaster, Virgil) vs. Honzogonzo(Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Doctor Doom)
- SUMMARY: Some strong play from Dacid got him up two games to one early on. Particularly his Captain America and his Taskmaster. Honzo came back one game, but couldn’t clutch it all out in the end– with Dacid finishing it off with Vergil’s level 3 in Devil Trigger. Dacidbro 3-1.
K Beast(C. Viper, Dante, Magneto) vs. Chrisis(C. Viper, Strider, Firebrand.)
- SUMMARY: K Beast showed some strong Viper play– capitalizing on Chrisis’ low health characters. In the third game, Chrisis attempted a strong comeback with his C. Viper and Firebrand– pushing K Beast down to one final character– but it wasn’t enough– and a few combos with Dante later, K Beast came out on top. K Beast takes it 3-0.
- Supports the Phoenix nerf, but feels getting her out takes “forever”.
- Isn’t afraid of anyone, but afraid of himself.
- Wants to prove people wrong about Phoenix. “I wanna win this with my %$@#!”
- Always wants to win. Doesn’t feel he needs to prove himself.
- Champ feels Doctor Strange is kind of weak. “If they would’ve given him an airdash, he’d be broken. But not having an airdash, they made him weak.”
- Thoughts on TOP CHARACTERs: WESKER and DR. DOOM for sure. HAWKEYE is very strong, STRIDER with orbs is scary,VIRGIL is good but not there yet. He feels Ghostrider is a good match-up against VIRGIL.
- Using Captain America, Vergil, Taskmaster. VERY CONFIDENT in his team and his chances. Isn’t nervous against F Champ, but does consider him a threat. Main reason he isn’t nervous? “I don’t have to respect Phoenix.”
- Doesn’t like single elim format, but feels he’s more comfortable with it than his competition.
- “My team has some STUPID stuff and if you don’t know about it? It’s gonna ROCK you.”
- His Top Characters? TOP: Virgil, Wesker, Strider, Dormammu. But, it’s still a new game, lots of room to grow. Against Virgil? “If you cross-counter him, he whiffs and he’s dead. So what I do– is I cross counter to MY Virgil–” and there you go.
- Doesn’t want to say he’s ready. Doesn’t want to set a goal for himself. “My mentality: have a good time, don’t think about winning. Doing good. Because if I do good, then that’s enough for me to get better.”
- “I don’t care about doing a fancy combo. All I care is you touch and you’re dead.”
- His Team: Wesker, Taskmaster, Magneto.
- Feels everyone is so good, and anything can happen.
- Top 5 no specific order: Wesker(“He’s the best character in this game. Hands down.”), Zero, Magneto(lowest), Taskmaster, and a toss up between Viper and Dante.
- “How you doing Honzogonzo? You confident?” “No… (laughs)”. Says he HATES single elimination.
- Worried about Champ.
- “Top 5? Viper, Wesker, Doom, Taskmaster, aaaaaannnddd… probably…. Zero.”